Thursday, January 11, 2007

The Most Important Job

I sometimes have to remind myself that staying home with the boys is the most important job I will ever have. I often feel like I am living "Groundhog Day" - you know, the movie where everyday looks the same? :) Unload the dishwasher, make a meal, change a diaper, dress the boys, read a book, play, change a diaper, make a meal, etc... It seems like there is often no gratitude for the work I am doing - no immediate results for my effort. Luke never says, "Thank you for my dry diaper, Mommy." :) Sam has never been heard saying, "Thank you for teaching me to obey God and my parents, I will be a better adult because of it." :) I know these things matter...to God and to me. Intellectually, I understand that the fruits of my labor will be fully seen as my children grow and mature. However, some days it just feels mindless! :) I can't remember things, I am easily frazzled, my clothes are never clean...food or "other substances" are smeared on me daily, I find it difficult to complete a sentence because I am also watching my kids, and I am dead tired at the end of each day. The responsibility is great and the job is thankless - but, I could never find a job with greater rewards or blessings. When I reach the end of my rope, I remind myself that I am "...working as unto the Lord." God is good.

No comments: