Monday, November 15, 2010

My Lukey Boy

 

Our second born son, Luke(4), is quite an amazing little boy.  He is full of silliness, lots of "tricks" and jokes, big warm hugs, smooches for his Momma, questions, a tender heart and an occasional bit of wisdom.  Now that Luke's older brother is away enjoying first grade for a full day, Luke is the "big man on campus" during much of the day at our home.  His mornings are spent playing with his little brothers, reading books with Mom, and entertaining all of us.  While the littlest brothers are napping, Luke and I are working on some school skills.  He loves it and I think I am enjoying it even more.  The learning is fun - he is a bright little guy and it's fun to watch him discover new things.  But, our conversations are what I treasure most about our time together.  I am doing my best to remember them, write them on my heart...I don't want to forget his precious heart and his innocence.  Here are a few recent conversations:

Having measured himself on our family's growth chart earlier in the day, Luke had some questions about growing up.

Luke: Mommy, when I grow up, I am going to shrink back down to be a boy.
Me:  Luke, that sounds like fun.  But, God made our bodies to grow up just one time.  When you are a big man like Daddy, you will stay a big man.  You only get one chance to be a little boy - that is why Daddy and I try to make it so much fun for you.
Luke:  But, I don't want to grow up.
Me:  Why not, honey?
Luke:  Because grown ups drink coffee and I don't like coffee.

The conversation from today was heart-breaking and a precious gift all wrapped in one package:

Luke: Mommy, how did Gran get to Heaven with Jesus?
Me: (pausing to pray that God would give me words)  Well, Luke, Jesus came to carry her to Heaven.  He didn't want her to be afraid, so He came to get her because He knows the way to Heaven and Gran had never been there before.
Luke:  (smiles sweetly)  That's nice.  Can we go pick her up for Thanksgiving?
Me: (fighting back tears)  Oh, Luke, that is such a nice idea.  I really wish we could do that...it would be so fun to spend time with Gran.  But, Heaven is the kind of place you never want to leave.  It's so wonderful and Gran is so happy there.
Luke: Oh, okay.

I am so thankful for this little boy who challenges me as a mother and loves me with a God-sized love.  What  a gift to be his Mommy.

2 comments:

Chris and Sarah said...

What a precious boy you have!

So does he get to marry Paige :)

Rick and Beth said...

What amazing mothering. Your responses were perfect. Won't you be my neighbor?